According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Every 18 seconds, an older adult is treated in an emergency department for a fall
- Every 35 minutes someone 65 or older dies as a result of their injuries from falls
Falling injuries are serious
Are you concerned about a family member or friend falling? Falling is a great fear of aging people. They are afraid that if they fall, they may not be able to get up or summon help; or worse, break a hip, require surgery and end up in a nursing home. Falls can also lead to problems with daily activities like dressing, bathing and walking.
Myth about falling
Some people believe that falls are a normal part of aging, and are not preventable. This is a myth. As obvious as it may sound, a lack of knowledge about fall risk factors and how to prevent them, leads to lack of preventive action, resulting in falls.
- Do you want to know more about common problems that contribute to falls and ways to help prevent them?
- Do you desire to learn more about assistive devices or environmental modifications that can be made to reduce the risks for falling?
How we can help with Fall Prevention
A Life Stage Solutions Care Manager can assist you and your loved one to identify fall risk factors and develop a plan to resolve these issues.
- Assess your health conditions (many of the health problems that increase the chance of falling are known and preventable).
- Perform a comprehensive assessment of the home to identify potential risk factors.
- Provide a medications review. (As you get older, the way some medicines work in your body can change. Some medicines, or combinations of medicines, can make you drowsy or light-headed which can lead to a fall).
- Assist you in communicating with your physician about any fall related issues.
- Help you to obtain any necessary medical equipment.
Don't wait, Call a Professional Care Manager today.
Learn more about Fall Prevention